Aug 6, 2013

How can we know God with Jesus?



1.  

Jesus knows the Father in an intimate way (John 1:1-2, 18) and tells us so in John 10:14–15: “I am the good shepherd. I know my own and my own know me, just as the Father knows me and I know the Father; and I lay down my life for the sheep.” His knowledge of the Father leads him to take quite different actions than most of the Pharisees, for he knows his sheep, cares for them, loves them, protects them and dies for them. This is unlike the Pharisees attitude and actions towards the sheep and this is one reason why Jesus castigates them so in John 8.

 We see this relationship of intimate relationship resulting in certain actions again in John 5:19–20: “So Jesus said to them, ‘Truly, truly, I say to you, the Son can do nothing of his own accord, but only what he sees the Father doing. For whatever the Father does, that the Son does likewise. For the Father loves the Son and shows him all that he himself is doing. And greater works than these will he show him, so that you may marvel.’

We know God with Jesus by immediate access in one sense in that we see what the Father is like up close and personal, as previously mentioned in John 1 and John 5, among other places. But we also have a sort of mediated relationship with the Father in that we must go through Jesus, as he says in John 14:6, “No one comes to the Father except through me.” Jesus, as the God-Man, is our go-between, our advocate, our great high priest (John 17) and our mediator. 

Not only that, but Jesus sends us the Spirit in his name! The Paraclete is described by Jesus as another comforter (or helper) in John 14:16: “And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Helper, to be with you forever…”. Later, Jesus says this in John 14:26: “But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, he will teach you all things and bring to your remembrance all that I have said to you.” Also of note is John 15:26, “But when the Helper comes, whom I will send to you from the Father, the Spirit of truth, who proceeds from the Father, he will bear witness about me.” 

These verses show us, among other things, that Jesus and the Father send us the Holy Spirit and then He points us back to Jesus and Jesus points us to the Father. My point is that Jesus has also sent us the Paraclete to be with us and teach us and to know God. Indeed, we are not left as orphans!

3

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment!

Follow by Email

There was an error in this gadget

CONTACT INFO:

To find out more about the ministry of BACKPACK APOLOGETICS or to schedule a speaking event at your church or school, contact Vocab:

E-mail: vocab@vocabmalone.com