Jul 29, 2013

What does Jesus teach us about dying well?

If you were given a year to live, what would your plan be? Here are my ten activities.

In John 18, as we see Jesus before Pilate – and others – we see that he still dealt with them in the appropriate way, not in a mean-spirited manner or with anger but in a way that was still God-honoring.

What else is wonderful is that he still bore witness to the truth, even in the face of danger. He did not sell-out but still spoke truth to power – he gave the good confession, a testimony of veritas before the rulers of his age. This shows me I must keep the faith until the end, say what the Lord would have me until the end and stay on mission for Him until the end – like Jesus.

One other massively conspicuous act of kindness on Jesus’ behalf can be found in John 19:25-27: “
but standing by the cross of Jesus were his mother and his mother’s sister, Mary the wife of Clopas, and Mary Magdalene. When Jesus saw his mother and the disciple whom he loved standing nearby, he said to his mother, “Woman, behold, your son!” Then he said to the disciple, “Behold, your mother!” And from that hour the disciple took her to his own home.” How incredible is it that in his dying moments, Jesus was concerned with others and was still taking care of them. This is a model for Christian love and service I want to imitate as I pass from here to there.

The Ten Activities I would want to do before I die, I imagine it would be something like this:
  1.  A massive prayer gathering with my closest friends and family. Maybe 20 people from all over for an extended period of time. Just praying and singing together.
  2. I would want to meet with the pastor who would preach my funeral and talk to him about it. How could it be beneficial to the hearers and pleasing to God? How evangelistic could he make it – very, I hope.
  3.  I would want to give away all my books to those who I know would most benefit from them. I can think of my pastor friends but I’d really like to find a small Christian college in the undeveloped world or even a place where they speak English but are poor, such as a school on a reservation here in the states.
  4.  I would like to record one more Christian hip hop and poetry album.
  5. I would want to finish at least one book idea I have.
  6.  I would spend as much time with my wife and kids.
  7.  I would need to do my best to make sure everything is in order as much as it could be for them ($, etc.)
  8. I would like to preach at least one more sermon.
  9. I would want to go on vacation to San Diego with my wife!
  10.  I would like to organize a giant music service of our church, where one of the last things I ever do is sing old hymns with other Christians.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment!

Follow by Email

There was an error in this gadget

CONTACT INFO:

To find out more about the ministry of BACKPACK APOLOGETICS or to schedule a speaking event at your church or school, contact Vocab:

E-mail: vocab@vocabmalone.com