May 28, 2012

Empathy and Change in Regards to Homosexuality

I currently have and have had a number of friends who either self-identify as homosexual or at least struggle with related issues. I have done my best to be a faithful and loving friend regardless of where they were at in their journey.I will not name names. But there are people who could vouch for me on this who are my friends on Facebook. I say that to say that out of all people we as Christians should be loving, understanding and most helpful towards those in struggles with sin regardless of how it manifests itself.


I am not just talking about Christians who say they struggle with same-sex attraction. I also speak of those who see nothing wrong with it and openly embrace it as their preference. Yet, in many instances, we have still been able to be friends. I was exposed to this at a relatively young age. I had two of my friends make homosexual passes at me in middle school. One subtly; one very direct. I was able to remain friends with them after that just fine and even into the high school years. I still can be friends with people who are homosexual to this day. So as far as empathy, I hope I can say that I have the love of Christ in my heart for those who feel trapped in these situations.
I do not think there is a one-size-fits-all explanation why people find themselves struggling or embracing same-sex attraction. The causes in one sense seem to be multifaceted. However, in another sense I would say they have the same root cause as all sinful desires and that is total depravity. The fact that all humans are sinful in every area of their being, including their sexual desires. Certain environmental factors can contribute to these things no doubt but at the and I believe that as creatures made in the image of God we are able to be morally accountable for our actions regardless of what has happened prior. But again as Christians who recognize the sin nature and and do not write it off as biology or merely environmental or something like that, we should be able to understand the very real issue that plagues us all, namely sin.

 So my heart goes out to those people who are trapped in the homosexual fog regardless of if they say they love it or hate it; either way they need Jesus to redeem them and the Holy Spirit to be able to have victory over sin. This is the promise of Scripture that God gives us a new nature and we are no longer slaves to sin but rather slaves to righteousness and love and indeed even Christ's servant.


 So if you want to know my "
emotional aspect", as in do I have empathy, the answer is "yes!"

One other interesting facet about all this is that in the realm of what's called reparative psychology that more and more secular psychologists are not willing to help someone struggling with same-sex attraction even if they say they want it to stop because they tell the person that is how they should be and that it is okay even if the patient wants to change. There is information about this readily available as far as the trend in psychology to not help even those wanting to be helped because of political correctness in the behavioral sciences.


This abstract seems to be an example of what I am saying:

 "A need for empirical data on the potentially harmful effects of such treatments is established. Ethical considerations relative to the ongoing stigmatizing effects of conversion therapies are presented. The need to develop more complex models for conceptualizing sexual orientation is discussed, as well as the need to provide treatments to gay men and lesbians that are consonant with psychology's stance on homosexuality." - 
http://sd28.senate.ca.gov/sites/sd28.senate.ca.gov/files/SB%201172%20Sen%20B&P%20Analysis.pdf

And it may not be long before these ideas become law: this is a PDF of a bill making its way through the California State Senate which makes reparative therapy for teens illegal.

http://sd28.senate.ca.gov/sites/sd28.senate.ca.gov/files/SB%201172%20Sen%20B&P%20Analysis.pdf

However, Christians are willing to walk through the struggles with people who request that they can have some success in overcoming desires that they say they do not want. To me that seems immensely more empathetic.

1 comment:

  1. I don't know how your friends did it. I personally don't want to be your friend. Being gay is my identity. I have to protect who I am. I will not have a friend who cannot accept my very core being. I can have a neighbor who disagrees with my identity, but not a friend. It will be too hurtful for me to bear.

    I appreciate your honesty without sugar coating political correctness. I certainly don't want to deal with you if I encounter you in person. However, I trust that you will be a good neighbor if we have to coexist in the same place.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment!

Follow by Email

There was an error in this gadget

CONTACT INFO:

To find out more about the ministry of BACKPACK APOLOGETICS or to schedule a speaking event at your church or school, contact Vocab:

E-mail: vocab@vocabmalone.com